I've found a skunk...what do I do?

Unfortunately, PSSWF is not licensed to rehabilitate skunks, and no center in Colorado is able to rehabilitate striped skunks. In most cases, the only option is to leave the animal alone. If the skunk appears to be in great pain, you may attempt to call Colorado Parks and Wildlife or Animal Control to dispatch the animal.

Please consult with a licensed wildlife rehabilitator, Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) officer, or animal control officer before intervening!

Under Colorado law, it is illegal to possess any species of wildlife without a license.

RABies vector Species

Though all mammals can potentially carry rabies, skunks are considered to be "rabies vector species" because they are more likely to have rabies than other animals. If one of these animals bites or scratches a person while they are capturing or rescuing it, it must be tested for rabies. The only way to test for rabies involves euthanizing the animal. While the risk of rabies in Western Colorado is low, it is a significant and deadly disease that requires precaution.

If you have raccoons or skunks living in your attic or other unwanted place, try putting ammonia soaked rags in the area. The ammonia will usually convince the animal it wants to live somewhere else!

Useful Contacts:


(970) 876-5676


Arrowhead Vet Hospital (PSSWF sat. in Fruita)

(970) 858-8881

Garfield County Animal Control Dispatch

(970) 625-8095

Pitkin County Animal Control Dispatch


CPW - Canyon Creek Office


CPW - Grand Junction Office

(970) 255-6100

CPW - Meeker Office

(970) 878-6090

CPW - Hot Sulphur Springs Office

(970) 725-6200