I've found a BAT...what do I do?

Please consult with a licensed wildlife rehabilitator, Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) officer, or animal control officer before intervening!

Under Colorado law, it is illegal to possess any species of wildlife without a license. This is where licensed rehabilitators like us come in! In addition to being licensed to take care of wildlife, we have the ability to provide injured and orphaned wildlife with the best nutrition, appropriate medical care, and are usually able to pair them with their own kind so they can thrive and learn proper behaviors for their species.

It is legal, however, for the general public to capture an injured wild animal and transport it to a willing veterinarian, CPW, or licensed rehabilitator.

Bat Rescue

PSSWF does not generally rehab bats. If you have a bat question, please contact the Colorado BatCREW at (866) 909-2287 or visit their website.

RABies vector Species

Though all mammals can potentially carry rabies, bats are considered to be "rabies vector species" because they are more likely to have rabies than other animals. However, bats are great for the environment, as they eat tons of bugs!

If you need to rescue a bat, please follow these precautions to protect your health and prevent the animal from later having to be euthanized:

  • Avoid handling the animal if at all possible by using nets or carriers to catch them.

  • Always wear thick gloves if you must handle the animal.

  • Do not let the bat lick you, or let its saliva come into contact with open wounds, or your mouth or eyes.

  • Do not try to feed baby animals - get them to a rehabilitator as soon as you can.

  • Contact Colorado BatCREW for advice prior to capturing any of these animals.

If a bat is accidentally caught in your house, you can catch and release it by following the instructions here.

Useful Contacts:


(970) 876-5676


Arrowhead Vet Hospital (PSSWF sat. in Fruita)

(970) 858-8881

Garfield County Animal Control Dispatch

(970) 625-8095

Pitkin County Animal Control Dispatch


CPW - Canyon Creek Office


CPW - Grand Junction Office

(970) 255-6100

CPW - Meeker Office

(970) 878-6090

CPW - Hot Sulphur Springs Office

(970) 725-6200